A unique holiday dessert that is completely vegan and insanely delicious.
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour (scoop and level off with a knife)
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon (plus more for dusting on top)
- 3/4 cup of vegan butter (I used Becel)
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar packed
- 2 tbsp of ground flaxseed mixed into 6 tbsp of water
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of vegan eggnog (I used Earth’s Own OatNog)
- 2 cups of fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup of maple syrup
- 1/4 cup of orange juice (fresh is possible!)
- 1/4 tsp of ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- Start by making your cranberry jam. Add all ingredients to a small saucepan set over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and then once boiling use a fork to mash the cranberries into small pieces. Continue to cook for another 10-15 minutes or until mixture has reduced and thickened. Stir and set aside to cool.
- To make cookies. Pre-heat oven to 350°F. In a mixing bowl combine dry ingredients — flour, baking powder, salt and spices. Set aside.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of an electric stand mixer, combine butter, white sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Mix in your flax eggs. Your ground flax and water mixture should be well combined and a thick texture similar to that of a raw egg. Then mix in vanilla and eggnog.
- With mixer set on the lowest speed, gently add in dry ingredient mixture. Mix just until combined, do not over mix.
- Using a tsp, scoop out small dollops of your cookie batter and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Space cookies 1-2 inches apart.
- Bake in your pre-heated oven for 13 minutes. Once you’ve removed from the oven, sprinkle with a dusting of cinnamon. Allow to rest on baking sheet several minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- As cookies cool, prepare your buttercream filling. Add the butter and powdered sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat the butter and powdered sugar together until the butter is light and fluffy. Add the melted white chocolate (optional) and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Once cookies and jam are room temperature, it’s time to assemble your whoopie pies. Using a butter knife, gently spread on a thin layer of buttercream and cranberry jam onto one cookie. Add another cookie on top to create a sandwich.
Serve with a glass of cold vegan eggnog and enjoy!
- If you’re tight on time, omit the homemade cranberry jam and use a store bought jam instead.
- You can great creative with the filling! Replace the cranberry jam with any other fruit. Replace the buttercream with a chocolate option.